Welcome to our help center 👋

What if the person cannot be found or is evasive?

Written by Crystal Gonzalez
Updated 5 months ago

If the named party in the documents cannot be found, the court may allow service by publication in a newspaper. Before this can happen, you may be asked to prove to the court that a reasonable attempt was made to actually serve the the other party or the person named.

California allows “Substitute Service.” This is when someone other than the defendant is served. This should be done only as a last resort and shown as part of the Due Diligence process.

Did this answer your question?